This recipe for Creamy Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage and Kale is a crowd pleaser. We have served it for Thanksgiving and Christmas as well as typical weeknight. It is one of our most requested soups whenever we have a gathering. Although it tastes like it has cooked down for days, you can be eating this soup in 45 minutes. A perfect go to during a weeknight or busy weekend.
I am always searching for recipes and flavor profiles I know will satisfy. I first came across a version of this soup on Pinterest posted by The Modern Proper. After finding, Valarie and I researched several other versions of this soup and started to make it by adding some of our favorite ingredients and products as listed in the recipe below.
This recipe is so easy to make. The flavors of the rich and creamy broth with the cheese tortellini will leave you wanting more. Make this for your family and friends today. This will add to a memorable meal.Print
Creamy Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage and Kale Soup
Creamy Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage and Kale provides maximum flavor with minimum time investment. Soup is always one of our favorite comfort foods. For this reason, a bowl of this soup with some crusty bread satisfies anytime of year.
This recipe is inspired from a version by Holly Erickson and Natalie Mortimer of The Modern Proper. Our recipe seems to vary by what is in season. We interchange kale with spinach as well as different types of tortellini depending on the time of year. Quality ingredients we use include Cento’s San Marzano tomatoes, the sweet Vidalia onion, Wegmans Italian Classics Cheese Tortellini, and of course our favorite go to salt and pepper – Trader Joe’s Sea Salt (Africa) and Rainbow Peppercorn (Vietnam).
Our kids love to make it with Valarie and it is one of the go to dishes we share in our cooking workshops and foodie groups.
Such a great dish to add to your Holiday table, especially Thanksgiving and Christmas. We hope you enjoy this soup as much as we do.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 bowls 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: Italian
1 lb. of ground Italian sausage
1 bunch of kale (or spinach)
1 16oz. can of Cento San Marzano crushed tomatoes
1 medium sweet Vidalia onion
1 quart of chicken stock
6–8 cloves of garlic
1 Tbsp. of tomato paste
1 package of Wegmans Italian Classics Cheese Tortellini
1/2 tsp. of crushed red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp. Trader Joe’s Sea Salt (Africa)
1/2 tsp. crushed black peppercorns (Vietnam)
1 cup of heavy cream
1/2 cup of Wegmans grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup of Wegmans Organic Italian Classics extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Prepare all ingredients in on 4-quart Dutch oven or equivalent.
- Heat dutch oven to medium-high heat.
- Remove ground sausage from the casings.
- Brown sausage in olive oil over medium heat until cooked halfway.
- Add onions and garlic to the sausage mixture until translucent. Typically, 5 minutes. Drain off excessive fat.
- Add the chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, and tomato paste. Whisk until fully blended.
- Bring to a boil, season with salt and pepper. Simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
- Add the tortellini, kale and heavy cream. Simmer for another 4-5 minutes until pasta is tender and kale is wilted.
- Transfer to a bowl and finish with shave parmesan and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Enjoy with a piece of your favorite crusty bread.
Chef’s Note: Fresh spinach makes a great substitute for the kale. Use whatever is on hand.
Keywords: Soup, Creamy Tortellini, Kale, Italian sausage