Valarie’s Jerk Corn
This flavorful corn is highly addictive and leaves you longing for more. The combination of flavors of the jerk-spiced butter melted over the corn and then finished with handcrafted mayo and ranch bread flavored panic bread crumbs. This recipe was inspired by Chef Nina Compton’s version. She is owner and Chef at Compére Lapin in New Orleans. We love her style of cooking. Hope you enjoy Valarie’s version as much as we do.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 4–6 1x
- Category: Appetizer, Side
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: Caribbean
- 1/2 lb butter, softened
- 1 whole roasted garlic head, chopped
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
Ranch Bread Crumbs
- 1 cup toasted panic bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup ranch garlic dressing
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups of vegetable oil
- Salt & pepper to tasts
- 6 ears of fresh corn, cobs shucked and cut in half
- 1 lime 1/2 tsp of chili powder
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients and garlic.
- Fold in softened butter. Set aside
Ranch bread crumbs
- In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs & ranch garlic seasoning. Set aside.
- Carefully place corn cobs in a large pot of boiling water. Let cook for 6-7 minutes. Turn off heat
- Remove corn cobs and transfer to work surface when corn is cool enough to handle.
- Brush each corn cob with the jerk butter and wrap in foil.
- Place on cookie sheet to roast in oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit or put on a grill top at medium heat. Cook for about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove corn from heat and foil. Brush each cob again with the jerk butter.
- Place on plates and top with a large dollop of mayonnaise and bread crumbs.
- Garnish with lime wedges dipped in chili powder.
The cook time is combined. About 35 minutes to roast the garlic. Ten minutes to cook corn in pot. Eight to ten minutes to roast corn in oven.This recipe is so addictive. I would recommend making twice the amount as you will want more! We love the flavors coming out of Nina Compton’s kitchen at Compré Lapin. We suggested you follow her and look at her other recipes.